SSH to an instance from Windows
This topic shows you how to log in to your machine as the root user using the Windows program PuTTY.
When you provision a machine, the Machine Details page will display two different IP addresses: a public IP address and a private IP address. Take note of these IP addresses as you will use the public IP to connect to your machine.
To log in to your machine, follow these instructions:
- Open the PuTTY program.
- Type the public IP address of your provisioned machine in the Host Name (or IP address) field.
- In the Category panel on the left, expand the SSH section to expose the Auth settings.
- Click Auth to display the Options controlling SSH authentication panel.
- Click Browse and select the private key file you created. This is the private key you saved when you [manually generating your SSH key in Windows](Manually Generating Your SSH Key in Windows.html).
- Click Open to open a PuTTY terminal session.
- At the
login as:prompt, type "root" and press ENTER.
login as: root
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20120104"
Passphrase for key "rsa-key-20120104":
- Type the passphrase you chose for this key and press ENTER.
You are now logged into your machine.
Once you are connected to a machine, you can start setting up your application.